Sunday, February 8, 2009

Brave or Crazy? You decide.

On Monday, Rhyetta answered the phone. It was the first counselor of our Bishopric asking us to give talks in church on Sunday. We were given the topic of Repentance. Rhyetta and I prepared our talks all week. However, as it does so often, life happens.

It happened to be a sick Felicity, and a trip to urgent care Saturday night. One of us, Rhyetta or myself, would get to stay home with Felicity while the other gave their talk. I elected to take Kian, Abby, and Ella to church and give my talk while Rhyetta would stay home.

Sunday morning came, after a night sleeping on the couch so Felicity and Rhyetta could sleep on the bed. To say the least, not a good night's rest. My talk was all prepared and so were the kids. Kids got into the car and we were off to church. If only the rest of the morning would go so smoothly. The sacrament portion of the meeting went well. It was my turn to give the talk. I brought a huge bag of twisties (pretzel twists the kids love from Grandma) thinking that having a yummy snack would keep them calm. Imagine this... I step up to the microphone to begin my talk and Ella starts crying. They are fighting over the pretzels. Looking down at my three kiddos, I just stood there. What could I do? Go back down to calm the troops? Gratefully, help arrived in the form of a Sister sitting on the same bench. Seeing that the kids were calm, I proceeded with my talk. Towards the end of the talk, I notice Abby and Ella making their way up to the stand. Ella sits down as Abby stands right next to me. OK, this isn't so bad right? It gets better though. Ella gets up and starts leaning over the banister and Abby starts playing with her Pet Shops while I finish my talk. Thank goodness Heavenly Father loves us even when we have trouble with reverence.

The talk was given, and I sit down. Kian approaches me mentioning he has to go to the bathroom. We all leave (couldn't you see the utter chaos Abby and Ella would wreak if I left them alone in Sacrament meeting??) and head down the hallway. Kian takes care of his business and we head back into the chapel. Ella and Abby are having trouble walking down the halls and this continues into the chapel. Kian isn't helping by maintaining his position in the front of this mob of three. Abby runs into someones foot and just continues to run to our seats. The whole time walking behind them, I wanted to say, "Whoever the parents of these kids are..." You can finish the thought with your own ending.

I was called brave for 1)Giving a talk today, and 2)for bringing all of the kids with me. Brave? Nah. Crazy? Well, lets just say that I will seriously reconsider next time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That vision made me laugh out loud. I can just see it now. Crazy? You're my son aren't you?

Judy Francisco said...

Oh, man... I'm sweatin' bullets just hearing about it. You ARE (were) brave!

Anaise said...

I'm thinking it was neither brave nor crazy, but just a kind service to Rhyetta. I'm sure it was much easier for her to be at home with one sick child than one sick child and 3 healthy ones.

I'm sure the ward just loves you all the more for your funny sacrament show.

Diane said...

It seems people just know how to help out in church. I think you were totally amazing considering my husband would never have even thought of that. But of course we are a product of the 70's. At least that is what I tell myself. So very glad to hear you have a blog. Loved loved the pictures of the kids. I can't believe how they have grown up. and baby Felicity is an adorable little chubalub. Adorable family.

Karina said...

Crazy.

Thank heavens for our awesome husbands.

Mumsy said...

Well, for someone who sat behind your family in church that day--let's just say I'm sure everyone was impressed that you kept everything so under control. But, when it's you, you think everyone is looking at you.

Your talk was awesome. Fred and I are still talking about it. So, if it is any consolation at all, know that the Johnson Family was grateful that you braved it.

And we're glad that sweet baby of yours is doing better.