There was an apostle who remarked that joy in motherhood (or in this case, parenthood) comes in moments. Last night was such a moment that Matt and I shared with Kian. Let me share with you.
Kian sometimes stays up later at night than the girls. He and I may read a book together or Matt and I will just answer some of his many questions or he'll just watch what Matt and I are doing for a while. Kian and I are currently reading a book about solar power: what it is, why it's so awesome, how it works, how to install it, etc. It's really very interesting. I'm learning more than he is because he already knows so much about circuitry, more than I do. But I think all of us are learning something.
Last night we learned about the amazing power of inductance, which is the fact that if you have a coil of wire wrapped around another coil of wire and the inner coil of wire has electricity running through it, the outer coil of wire will pick up some of that electricity and will also then run a current of electricity. We're talking AC power here (alternating current); this doesn't work well with DC because DC current doesn't change flow like AC and it's the rapid change of flow of AC power that makes this inductance work. See, don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about? I'm not even looking at the book!
All of this happens inside of a transformer which is part of an inverter which is a component that changes DC power (from your solar panel) to AC power (the kind you run in your house). Upon hearing the word transformer, Kian piped in with, "I had a transformer in my electronics stuff. It was like woom and woom." (And with the wooms he used his hands to show us about how big the transformer was). Matt started chuckling as he always does when Kian uses sound effects instead of words in his speech. He does it quite often and it cracks us up. I don't think he's ever noticed how we laugh at him when he does it because he's too involved in what he is describing, but this time I commented to him on how funny it is when he does it and I showed him his "woom, woom" thing, gesturing with my hands the way he did with his. He thought that was the funniest thing in the world (it was getting late at night) and we laughed and laughed.
From then on, it was joke after joke about making sound effects. I told him, "We're not talking about babies inside of the womb, Kian. We're talking electronics." Ha ha ha, that set him squealing with laughter. "I remember when you were in my womb, Kian!" Ha ha ha. And Matt added, "Well women with babies can be induced." (Remember, inductance). Yes, it was all so funny. We had a great time.
You might not catch the humor of it all, but we sure did. Now we have an inside joke to share about wooms and wombs and transformers. It was a magical moment of learning and laughing and we shared it together. And the voluntary hug he offered to me when it was finally time for bed was wonderful too.
6 comments:
That is a special night. How fun. Kian is one-of-a-kind.
I just noticed that your blog post name is Magical Moments and I just posted a post called Special Moments. Crazy, huh?
I was smiling as I was reading this blog--on the verge of laughing out loud--with tears in my eyes! Funny how my kids' blogs so easily move me to tears. I am so proud of how you all write and happy when you share stories like this so I can feel part of them.
The tears are coming stronger now because I'm thinking about my last daughter leaving Utah and not having any excuses to drive north anymore... The reality is slowly descending since I first allowed myself to think about it a couple of days ago... Oh, the sadness of going through this twice in one year!...
And we will miss you and Wo too!!! That's why we want you to join us quickly!
I'm having such separation anxiety, doubly so now that you are moving to Missouri. I'm going to miss only having a day's drive to see you all, but actually, the flight is shorter. :-)
I love the way that little guy's mind works. What an amazing person my boy is.
Inside jokes ARE fun!
Most of the time I've found that we parents kind of laugh at our kids--at the funny things they say, at the funny things they do, at their childlike way of looking at the world. Getting to laugh with our kids is special--a sort of recognition that we're all human and that they are indeed growing up.
Anaise, you are so right. I think laughing with our kids is the best kind of fun.
Post a Comment