Today Kian and I had the opportunity to go outside together in the AMAZING 60-degree weather. I walked/ran (down the hills mostly) and he biked and walked alongside me. We chatted about various things and had some good conversation. On our way home, I remembered I had recently been meaning to revisit "the talk" that Matt and I had with him a long time ago, to check in with him to see if he had any questions or concerns, that kind of thing.
So, I asked him if he any questions about it. He answered, "No, not really." He had no concerns. That was cool; I kind of figured as much. A moment later he asked, "Why does Wal-Mart sell stuff with that kind of stuff on it?" His question was too vague for me to answer so I squeezed more details out of him. I clarified that he was talking about magazines at the checkout aisle that show scantily clad women and advertisements for women's underwear and such. As I clumsily formed my answer, "Well, it's because some people like to look at that stuff... I mean, you'll find when you're older you will even want to look at it... What's important is that you know not to... They sell it because people buy it."
Then he asked, "What is s*xy? Grandma used it in her online Scrabble game."
I had to form another quick answer. "Hmm, it means... (and I'm trying to figure out how to word it for a 10-year-old)... "a person who is... hmmm." I was really scrambling for the way to say it!
Then he piped up, "s*xual desire?"
"Yes, Kian, that's it! A person who is... (and again I could not find the words!)"
"attraction?"
"Yes, Kian, that's it again! A person who is s*xually attractive. You're so smart. You're thinking of all the words I'm not!"
It was so funny how he really answered his own question. I'm confident that he understands what he needs to at his age.
1 comment:
Haha. That's awesome!
Post a Comment