This is all really making us wonder... I mean, isn't she WAY TOO YOUNG for this?!?!
Abby (age 7) had two boys in her Primary class that she had crushes on. She would vacillate between marrying one and marrying the other. She would imagine and play that she was in love with one and talk about him all the time. And then she would day-dream about the other one. To us, her family, it was all very funny and we teased her mercilessly but she liked the teasing.
Then one evening at a Cub Scout activity, one of the boys (whose name is Tate) decided he liked the attention he was getting, so he started playing along, announcing to everyone, "Abby is my girlfriend!" Maybe she didn't like all the teasing and attention then, because for several weeks she emphatically did NOT like Tate anymore.
Two Sundays ago, Abby came home from Primary all dreamy, lovey-dovey over Tate again! She wrote him in an e-mail:
Dear tate i like you. You are like an {angel icon} to me. How are you doing ? I am so {crying face icon} that one of my dogs died.
{Red heart icon} Abby Musser
She wouldn't answer my questions about what changed her mind about him. But I asked her Primary teacher through e-mail what happened at church?! This was her reply:
"Tate and Abby wanted to hold hands several different times during third hour. I told them that we don't need to be holding hands and to keep our hands to ourselves. Abby also asked me if we could play church charades because she wanted to pretend she was Mary and Tate could be Joseph and they could be married. HAHA!!"
A week later, she's not lovey-dovey over him anymore. What drama! But seriously, isn't this all a little premature? Any advice/experience/opinions would be appreciated.
3 comments:
Well, she is a prodigy.
She acts exactly like Emily and Sandy do. I kept all of those feelings totally private from family and friends--never talked openly with anyone. I can tell Megan and Julie are going to be more like me, but I catch them giggling and teasing right along with their more open sisters.
At least when they're talking and obsessing about love and boys and crushes and so forth and so on, I know what's happening! We have lots of great discussions as a result.
But really, I think she's normal. :) After all, childhood is all about practicing for adulthood, so by "loving" someone and wanting to be married to that someone, she's trying to act like you.
I have zero experience with this, but it seems really cute to me. Like Anaise, I'd think it would be a really great springboard for lots of discussions about "real love" and "fighting."
Kinda makes me excited about our kids growing up. Abby is going to be a wonderful mother and wife someday!
Post a Comment