Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Studying Poetry

Every weekday morning around here at breakfast-time we read a poem or two. It's amazing how quick the kids memorize them just by hearing them repeatedly. This morning, I asked if anyone wanted to read a new poem. Abby volunteered and she stood and read in her clear and sweet childish voice, "I Had a Dove" by John Keats. It goes:

I had a dove and the sweet dove died;
And I have thought it died of grieving:
O, what could it grieve for?
Its feet were tied,
With a silken thread of my own hand's weaving;
Sweet little red feet! why should you die

Why should you leave me, sweet bird! why?
You lived alone in the forest tree,
Why, pretty thing! would you not live with me?
I kissed you oft and gave you white peas:
Why not live sweetly, as in the green trees?

Well, you can probably guess how this sweet 7-year-old girl responded to the poem. She quietly asked, "Could I read the poem again but changing a few things?" I assented.

This was her version which she copied for English later in the day:

I had a dog by Abby Musser

I had a dog and that sweet dog died
and I have thought it died of grieving
O what could it grieve for?
Its paws were tied
with a silken thread of my hands own weaving
Sweet little white paws! Why should you die?

Why should you leave me sweet dog! why?
You lived with me.
Why pretty thing! would you not live with me?
I kissed you oft and gave you dog food.
Why not live sweetly in the green grass?

3 comments:

B. Perky said...

Love it.

Anaise said...

Isn't it wonderful that Abby's little heart found a poem that helped her speak?! She's a writer, that one is!!

Grandma M said...

She misses her dog so much. I'm glad she has found a way to express her grief.