Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Baby Boomers

At breakfast yesterday, I thought I'd give a quick history lesson. We've been studying modern world history this year and a lot of it is so horrible that I've just given a paragraph's summary of what happened rather than going into detail with these little kids! Although I do have a picture of Lenin on the timeline and the kids always like to ask if he was an evil man. They'll ask, "What's his name again?"

Anyway, last month we "studied" WW2 and so yesterday I wanted to talk about baby boomers with the kids. As they were eating their oatmeal, I mentioned how after the war, the people were SO happy that the war was over and they were finally living in peace again. The soldiers came home and lots of them got married and had babies. In fact, there were so many babies being born they called it a baby boom! They're eyes got bigger at such a funny phrase that they had never heard before and there were a few giggles. I explained it a little more, but they weren't listening! "Baby boom?!" asked Kian. "You mean like the babies went BOOM?!" Ha ha. Lots of laughs all around the table. Abby was hysterical, "So, the babies came out of the mommy's belly like boom?!" We were all laughing now. Kian asked me, "Where do babies come out?" I could see that he was trying to remember exactly but couldn't quite remember how it worked. I answered, "out of their vaginas." So then he excitedly replied, "The mothers can help in the war by shooting the babies out of their vaginas!" Then he got down on his hands and knees and demonstrated how they would shoot out of their backsides. We were in hysterics! I just let the conversation go and enjoyed the kids' laughter. When I tried to explain that our grandparents were born during the baby boom, they just couldn't hear me. Every time I mentioned "baby boom" they got distracted with funny images and hysterical laughter!

4 comments:

Grandma M said...

Oh my gosh! What an hysterical picture you paint! And speaking for us "baby boomers" my sides hurt from laughter.

Anaise said...

That is just funny, funny, funny! :)

Karina said...

Laugh out loud funny. Crazy kids!

Diane said...

So fun to see you and the kids at Judy's party. This blog was hysterical, I joined in the laughter. The images portrayed cracked me up and will be in my mind imbedded!