Last night Matt and I were able to attend a High Priests
Group Social for our area at the newly acquired, moderately tamed, but still
fairly wild campground our church uses for Girls Camp and other fun outdoor
adventures. Matt had the duty of
shuttling the older folks who couldn’t walk the uneven ground from the crude
parking area to the main campground meetingplace. Up and down he drove in the Suburban,
carrying passengers and lawn chairs and potluck offerings over bumpy, rainwater-covered
tracks. The thorny locust trees in that
location are so prevalent, I had thought beforehand we would probably get a
flat tire due to a puncture from a thorn…
Surprisingly, the flat tire came after we arrived home!
We pulled into the garage after our date and heard a
crunch. Uh-oh. Matt commented, “I hope that wasn’t a
scooter.” The kids have been having so
much fun riding their scooters throughout the garage now that the weather has
changed and there aren’t wasps flying around so much. It was worse than a scooter, however! It was a wooden board that the kids had been
hammering nails into that contained 5 giant nails sticking straight up (now
only four because one of them was stuck in the tire)! We drove right over that board!
We could hear the air rushing out of the tire. The kids came out to welcome us home. Dad was not so happy. He quickly got to business loosening lug nuts
and jacking up the vehicle. We would
have to put on the spare tire in order for me and the kids to get to church in
the morning. It was already after
bedtime so he went straight to work.
After I got kids to bed I joined him outside and again, Dad
was not too happy. The spare tire would
not loosen from it’s home under the car.
We went through the manual instructions step by step but that darn spare
tire was not coming off! I called our
friend who used to own the Suburban to ask for his advice. He ended up coming over and we all spent
about 2 hours outside in the cold trying to get the spare tire. It was just not happening no matter what we
tried. While this friend was helping, we
were chatting. He had just spent the
last 3 days as Mr. Mom while his wife was in another state visiting her
sister. He was not only on full dad
duty, but his own car had broken down the day before and was at the
mechanic! He had been so busy that day
he hadn’t had a chance to shower. He had
just picked up his wife and they were still eating dinner when he dropped it
all to come over and help us! Talk about
service!
At 11:00 pm, I finally went to bed. Matt came in a while later. I decided to stay at home Sunday with the kids. Matt would drive his car to church and take
our flat tire in to Walmart to fix it after church was over but before two more
church-related meetings in the afternoon.
(Whoever said Sunday was a day of rest has never served in an LDS
bishopric!)
Church went well. “Where
is your family today?” Matt was questioned several times by caring ward
members. He told them the story of the
flat tire.
Matt forgot his wallet so he came home directly after church
(he really didn’t have enough sleep, poor guy!)
He grabbed some food and took a cat nap before driving in to town to hit
Walmart before his next meetings. What a
surprise when he opened the trunk of the car and he pulled out a tire without a
nail puncture and with stickers and the tire pumped full of air! After bouncing it and beginning to roll it into
the store, he realized this was not the flat tire! He figured out he must’ve been the lucky
victim of some deliberate act of kindness.
He remembered a comment from earlier in the day and texted a particular
friend whom he suspected.
“Did you fix our tire?” he queried.
“Yes, I hope I’m not meddling too much in your business” was
the reply!
Matt called me and told me the good news and we both digested
this blessing. We feel we are
blessed. We know we are blessed. But doesn’t this particular act stand out
from others?! What an incredibly
Christian, selfless, generous, and immediate blessing this kind friend was able
to bestow upon us. It’s astounding and
it’s inspiring. Thank you, you know who
you are!!
2 comments:
I shared this story as part of our morning devotional yesterday. It went with our scripture theme of "Trust in the Lord" and our constant theme of serving others. The kids were spell bound and oh-so-impressed.
Stories of service always make me wonder how I can be like that!!
This is the best story ever. I love people like that. Good, kind, loving people who just quietly serve without fanfare. Thank you for sharing this with us!!
Post a Comment