 |
| Dr. Musser with his enthusiastic 6th grade audience |
On Wednesday, November 24, 2010, I had a guest scientist come into my classroom to conduct some science experiments on chemical changes. Three experiments were conducted in the midst of 50 sixth grade students. With the students huddled closely to a small table where the experiments were to be conducted Dr. Musser was introduced to the group. Donning his white lab coat and chemical samples, Dr. Musser began. His first experiment was mixing baking soda and vinegar together. The captive audience recorded their observations and the baking soda and vinegar bubbled and fizzed to the top of a clear plastic container. The second experiment Dr. Musser performed consisted of mixing iron nitrate, and sodium ferrocyanide in water. The result was clear water turning a deep shade of blue right before an awestruck audience. Dr. Musser's last experiment was to be the most exciting and somewhat unexpected (Kian and I had conducted this experiment at home, so we knew what should happen). A tin container was filld with some water, and a piece of potassium was removed from the bottle and dried of its mineral oil bath. I, Dr. Musser's assistant, while using a metal science spatula, placed the potassium in the water. Quickly it spattered, caught fire, smoked, and ferociously moved about in the water. All of this was to be expected. However, when it started to pop and explode on to the table, student papers, and other places this was not an expected reaction. The audience scrambled away from the table in pure excitement. They wondered where they could get some potassium, how he knew all of this stuff, etc. He loved it; they loved it; it was an awesome experience for all.
3 comments:
That is so delightful, I don't know how to express it! What a great day for Dr. Kian, and what a great dad he has!
He is so awesome!!
You were in my thoughts all day yesterday and today! What a joyous occasoin! Congrats! I look forward to hearing the details and learning the name. Enjoy that little bundle and I am sure your other children will take no time teaching him the ropes of the family ways.
Post a Comment