I have a vivid memory from my childhood. It's so vivid, I can still taste it 20-something years later!
I remember my mom serving up ice cream in bowls. That was a treat! I don't think we had ice cream very much. But when I happily took a bite of that ice cream, I didn't smile. I frowned. It tasted awful. How can ice cream taste bad, I wondered. Do you know what my mom did to that delicious ice cream? She served it with fresh bits of garlic hidden inside! Blech. It tasted wrong. I have never liked garlic--I wonder if it's because of that experience.
Whenever it seemed appropriate, I would share that story with friends to get some sympathy. Why would my mom do that to me? Yuck!
Here I am now, a mother of four youngins'. And for the first time in my adult life I don't have health insurance and neither do my kids. It's just too expensive to buy it (through Matt's work or individually). We'd rather risk it and pray for safety and learn how to keep ourselves healthy. We've made that choice. And as I wonder, what will I do if the baby needs antibiotics for something?, I remember vaguely my mother's voice explaining to me that garlic is a natural antibiotic. Bing! Lightbulb moment! What a good idea, I think. My mom used to do that with me when I was a kid. She sure was smart!
3 comments:
I give my kids chopped garlic in peanut butter instead of ice cream--I've found that the ice cream melts away too quickly, leaving you with a mouthful of burning garlic, but peanut butter has staying power and is slimier to help the garlic go down.
But, for those who can swallow pills, for about $3 you can buy garlic pills and have zero garlic taste, breath, or struggle. When we feel colds coming on we pop them like candy (garlic is also a mild anti-viral)
OOOH!! And doesn't it also work as a bug repellent? I have 3 huge mosquito bites and I wonder if it would help that?
I still take garlic (the tasteless, odorless pills!) every day--twice a day if I feel like I'm getting sick. I don't think the pills work as good as fresh, though. It's like aloe vera--there's just nothing you can buy that's as good as the fresh gel.
I'm glad for your Gelstalt moment; sorry you can't afford insurance anymore. Extra prayers of protection for you all...
Love, Mom
Post a Comment