Our lives have changed with Matt's diagnosis. Our routines have been interrupted. Our health habits are changing. What is normal anymore? The big, bad "C" word has descended upon our lives. Sarcoma is a diagnosis for a lifetime. Even if treatment, whether it's surgery, chemo or radiation therapy, gets rid of all detectable cancer cells in Matt's body, sarcoma can return any time and any where. Can a sarcoma warrior ever feel completely whole? Or will there always linger a concern that this cruel cancer will strike again?
Matt has doctor appointments with a myriad of specialists. He has tests currently scheduled and more tests in the future that remain to be scheduled. He has another surgery. He has other treatment options to discuss and decide upon. During the days he is not being seen at some kind of medical facility, he goes to work as "normal." But because of the two weeks he missed from the first surgery in September, he is playing catch up with grading and planning. He goes into work very early and stays late at work to keep afloat, but he still has so much to do that he feels like he's drowning. The good thing about being busy at work is that it keeps him from dwelling on the cancer diagnosis. But his new normal is a lot of medical intervention and missed school and playing catch up at work. And cancer.
I haven't even mentioned the new diet he agreed to follow (to make me happy) which I researched, planned and carefully prepare for him (to keep him alive longer). We are both eating a super-duper healthy diet which includes only anticancer foods:
* Leafy greens galore
* Cruciferous vegetables
* Tomatoes
* Garlic, onions, etc
* Yellow and orange vegetables
* Berries, citrus fruits and juices and stone fruits
* All veggies except corn and potatoes
* Limited starchy vegetables such as pumpkin, sweet potatoes and winter squash
* Nuts and seeds
* Legumes
* Grass-fed meat and cage-free eggs (very limited)
* Certain fish such as salmon but we don't like these anyway
* Soy products including tofu and soy dairy
* 1 1/2 oz of greater than 70% dark chocolate per day
* Very limited multigrains
My priorities have shifted post-diagnosis from 1) homeschooling, 2) cleaning house, and 3) as much cooking as I could fit in to 1) cooking healthy, 2) cleaning, and 3) as much homeschooling as I can fit in. At this point we don't do much formal school though I do a reading lesson and preschool with Klaus most days and the kids play, play, play and read, read, read constantly. They do go to co-op once a week where they study subjects including physics, crochet, small business, geography, literature and multiplication facts.
I have had no ability to focus on home school. The word cancer seems to invade every thought throughout the day and night. There's no room to think of anything else. I am processing it, I realize. Some days I weep a lot. Most days I feel good and strong. But even on good days I can't focus on school work. I focus on projects and cleaning and cooking and keeping the household running. When will I feel normal again? Will it ever be normal again? What will the new normal be anyway? We are all discovering our new routine. Thank goodness we can discover it together.
6 comments:
Love you! I bet you will soon find a rhythm with the cooking and other things will settle in. Thank you for keeping us posted!
Hugs and prayers.
Seems to me that the schooling you all are doing is learning how to live with cancer, how to pray and fight and love through a crisis, and exercising faith.
Awfully good lessons--hard ones, but good ones.
You all are ever in our prayers!!!
That's a perfect kind of homeschool. If the kids are read, read, reading, they will be fine. Your focus is awesome, and you are in our prayers.
Thanks for being good friends and great examples.
I had no idea and our hearts are with you as you are figuring out the new routine and coping with the big "C." You both are amazing and have a strength inside that is helping you face this head on. I wish I lived closer to help out in some way in person but we will keep everyone in our prayers and thoughts. We love you both and all the kiddos.
we've been thinking of and praying for you all daily since we found out about matt's big c... i concur with ana and joe: when life derails your normal, you focus on what's critical, and that in itself is a precious education.
on bringing home a new infant, a wise homeschool mom said "the baby is the lesson!" and soon everyone adjusts. i say, "cancer is the lesson!" and you're all adjusting.
good for you for cooking first! how wonderful that your family will learn to eat the best of foods, lovingly prepared. that you manage to clean house and get kiddos to co-op right now is nothing short of amazing. sounds like they are fine. you are wonderful. matt is brave.
so hold faith & hope close. love on, pray on, go on, for you can do all things through christ, who will strengthen you all.
hugs and love, emily
Post a Comment