Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Recommended Treatment

Matt heard today from the Mayo Clinic regarding his case.  The Mayo Clinic is ranked 3rd in the entire nation for cancer care.  Their recommendation for treatment is not chemotherapy, but radiation directed at the tumor site.  Dr. A.J. in St. Joseph said that this would take about 5 minutes of his day, every day, for a matter of weeks.  He might get a sunburn kind of reaction but other than that he would be able to continue his normal activities including work.

He was also able to be in contact with University of Kansas today and scheduled a second opinion at the sarcoma center for this Friday.  We're both really glad that this appointment is so soon.  At first when I called last week, the receptionist mentioned the soonest appointment would be a few weeks out.  Maybe his case is so urgent, they were able to get him an earlier appointment.  I don't know, maybe not.  Whatever the reason, we're both thankful.  We know a couple of people who have received care at the cancer center at K.U. and they've said that it's excellent care.

I also wanted to mention that Matt spoke in church this last Sunday.  I was in the foyer dealing with a very ornery Klaus.  I was surprised to hear him get up to the microphone to speak because the week prior he had broken down with emotion.  I worried for a moment that he would cry but as I listened I was thoroughly impressed with his composure and his strength.  He bore his testimony of the blessings he enjoys as a member of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ including an eternal family, sealed together for eternity in a holy temple.  It was moving to people listening who didn't know anything of his condition.  To those of us who knew that he had cancer, it was particularly stirring and strengthening.  We are learning about submission through this experience, that is for certain.


No comments: