When we started our family hike last Monday evening about sunset, Matt and I were looking forward to a quick excursion for the whole family to get some exercise out of doors and enjoy the beautiful fall colors around us. We had come to this state park several times over the past few months and hiked the shorter trails: a half-mile, then mile-long hikes, and even a mile and a quarter hike the last time we visited. They had always been quiet (except for the exuberant shrieks coming from our five kids), peaceful and enjoyable. With Klaus riding in a carrier on Matt’s back, Felicity was the youngest hiker of our group at age 4. She tired after awhile but I could always coax her to the end of the trail by praising her excellent hiking skills and observing the natural beauty around us.
Last Monday’s hike was not peaceful, restful or enjoyable, however. Last Monday’s hike turned out to be scary, dark, physically exhausting, emotionally stretching and much longer than expected.
We knew when we started we didn’t have time for the longest trail at 1¾ miles long. The sun had already set but there was a lot of light left in the sky. We were all excited to get going and we did not study the trail map as closely as we should have (and when I say “we,” I mean me!) Matt didn’t even look at the map. He was trusting us to take the appropriate trail and was busy cleaning up our picnic dinner of BBQ veggie pizza (no cheese).
When we passed the lake and read the trailhead sign, I got it into my head that we wanted the blue trail which was 1.25 miles in length. I showed Matt the longer trail at 1.75 miles. “We don’t want that one,” I said. I knew our daylight hours were limited but we were all full of energy and eager to start. I thought our trail was a simple, quick circle--a loop with a shortcut that led around and right back to the lake. We’ll be done before dark and get the kids home and to bed.
We walked. The kids shouted with joy to be out of doors and expending energy. They ran ahead, looking for the blue trail. We frightened a nest (or roost?) with dozens of large birds as big as eagles it seemed to us directly overhead. Their giant wings flapped noisily and we all stopped to watch them in wonder. We later found out they were turkey vultures. It was awesome! The reds, pinks, oranges, yellows and browns of the autumn leaves were just gorgeous. It felt great to be visiting our park in a new season. The last time, a few weeks earlier, every leaf was still green!
We hiked on and on, Kian in the lead, Abby and Ella close behind. Felicity held my hand and I talked with her to keep her mind off of the exertion required. Matt brought up the rear with Klaus on his back. After some time (Why were we still on the red trail? Where was the blue trail we were looking for?), I turned back to Matt and offered, “Maybe if we don’t find the trail in five minutes, we should just turn around?” But he didn’t concur. He was silent on the matter. I figured we had already come this far. It couldn’t be much farther on. It couldn’t!
As we hiked on and on, I observed the light fading. I urged the kids to keep up the pace. We were in a race to reach safety before the sunlight faded completely. Kian kept a fast walking pace. We hiked on. There was no turning back now. We surely had come far enough on the trail to get back faster by continuing ahead.
We found the blue trail! I figured that meant it was the shortcut and we’d be back at the lake in 10 minutes. “Hooray!” We continued hiking the blue trail. The light was dimming. I told the kids how great it was that we had good night vision because we were using it! It was light enough to see but all of us could feel the impending darkness and Matt went to the front of the group to set an even quicker pace. I was in the back now with a whining 4-year-old. Not only were her legs tired but she had to use the bathroom. I knew that stopping for even two minutes would lose us precious moments of daylight so I urged her forward, pulling her along, using a lot of strength in my grip. She tripped often but with my tight grip, she never got hurt. I offered her a ride on my back to keep up with the others and give her a break.
It was dark enough now that Matt and I knew we would be hiking in darkness before reaching the lake. Oddly shaped branches seemed to reach out to grab me. Poky-needled vines clung on to our sweatshirts. A broken tree trunk with a bent limb closely resembled a scary animal! I was getting spooked!
With the very last rays of sunlight we hurried on, all of the kids worrying some. We reassured them. We encouraged them. I sang to Felicity to keep her mind off her worry. Matt said Klaus was falling asleep in the backpack. I tripped on something. I couldn’t really see the trail anymore and Felicity flew off my shoulders but thankfully landed square on her feet. No harm. I got up and we walked on.
Why was this blue trail so long?! We were walking so much further than we had before. Something wasn’t right. When we passed the familiar shore of a dry riverbed, I wondered if we were going in circles! I mentally reviewed the landmarks in case this were true (this of course was before it was pitch black).
I offered up a prayer that God would help us get back safely. I did not want to stay overnight on the trail with five children! It was going to dip down to the 40s or 50s tonight!
At this point, Matt pulled out his cell phone from the backpack. Oh joy! He could use the light from the screen to search for the colored flags on the trees of the trail to see if we were still on the right path. You couldn’t see anything with your own eyes now except for a faint outline of the person in front of you. I didn’t want to get left behind! I called ahead for everyone to stop while I finally let Felicity relieve herself. I figured it was dark enough now that it didn’t matter if we lost two minutes!
Why were we still on the blue trail?! Up ahead, Matt questioned the kids about the map. It was no use asking me, I was completely lost. Kian and Abby told him what they remembered, which way they thought we should turn when we had a choice, etc. They were right every time! What navigators! What truly amazed me was how Matt was able to figure out where we needed to go when we came to a fork in the trail because he hadn’t even looked at the map! I looked at the map; I chose the trail; I was completely lost. I never said this out loud, however. I always spoke very positive words about how brave the kids were and how completely safe they were in Mommy and Daddy’s care. Felicity and Ella really wanted to break down and cry but we just kept moving and didn’t give them the chance!
It was very dark. I had no idea where I was stepping or if I was even on the trail. There was no moonlight. It felt strange and unnerving. Having the cell phone was such a relief to me. I knew if we were lost, we could call the police and they could check a map and lead us on the right path or actually come with flashlights and rescue us! Matt used the cell phone to light the trail immediately in front of and behind him so we all huddled close to each other to best access the small amount of light it provided. We finally found the red trail again. I questioned Kian’s photographic memory as to how much further we had to walk now that we were back on the red trail. He approximated we were 75% through. We walked and we tripped. We hiked and hiked further. Finally, we recognized the turkey vulture’s nest because it smelled like bird poop. That meant we were almost to the lake!
After what felt like hours of walking, we crossed a bridge and got to the lake! When we came out of the woods and saw the reflection of the stars on the lake, we all smiled with relief! And then we observed the stars above us and they were magnificent! It was only just after 8:00 pm but the stars shone radiantly. I wanted to stop walking and just look at the stars but Felicity wanted to actually get in the car so we continued.
We studied the trail map sign by the light of the cell phone. We took the trail we weren’t supposed to take! We traveled over 2 miles! Matt taught a mini-lesson about how important the light was in getting us home and what the source of light really was but the kids were so talkative about the whole ordeal they couldn’t stay quiet enough to listen attentively. The lesson I learned was to always bring a cell phone on a hike! We all felt the tingling euphoria of safety when we got back into the car. What an adventure! Now that we were safe, it was kind of fun! A 2-mile night hike with 5 children was not our intention when we started, but it was memorable and exciting. We all talked about it on the ride home.
How thankful I am for my wise husband and protector and the excellent navigating skills of my two oldest children and the courage shown by my two others. We offered a prayer of gratitude when we arrived home.
3 comments:
Oh man. Wow. What an adventure, for real! Now that it's over and all written in past story form, it's so cool. How bonding that must have been.
Isn't it strange how even in our very "civilized" world we can feel the dangers of the wild world around us!?!?!
I'm glad you're all safe and sound.
wow! good times!
Post a Comment