Sunday, January 3, 2010

Spiritual guidance and real estate news

So much of what I have read today in my personal study has reminded me that we are literally sons and daughters of God. Because we are His spirit children, we have the potential to become like Him. We can become more like Him now, while we're living life on earth. You already knew that, didn't you? But if you believe it and if you think about it, it might change your attitude about life.

I recently read in the scriptures about coming to Heavenly Father as a little child. When I keep that perspective as I pray, it changes the way I pray. I feel so much more trusting and submissive and thankful. I know Heavenly Father will answer my prayers by blessing me with the guidance I'm asking for. I know that by letting Him be in charge (and giving up a little of what I want) He'll give me what I need and what will make me happy. And it seems like Heavenly Father doesn't so much care about blessing us with a comfortable life. Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount that if you are persecuted and reviled you'll feel joy and be happy! And Elder Uchtdorf's message in this month's Ensign taught us that ease and luxury are not what the Lord has in mind when he offers us blessings.

Mary Ellen Edmunds in a BYU Conference talk quoted an Ensign article by Stephen Robinson who wrote that one of the great and abominable church's characteristics is that it seeks wealth and luxury. I guess I'm thinking about this a lot as Matt and I and the kids anxiously await moving into a new home. God will bless us with what we need. I know that.

Enough contemplation. On to the update on the house...

Matt and I visited the house on a trip to Cameron to sign some homeowner insurance paperwork. We wondered what it was like with snow (we got a lot of it in the last storm!) The drive was so full of snow we didn't feel safe traveling it in our car so we parked on the road and walked up to the house. It is so pretty in the snow! It is just beautiful! Later, we heard that the appraiser had been there and needed some repairs made before she could finish her appraisal. So Matt drove up there again last week and met with our real estate agent and replaced smoke detectors and installed switch plates and GFI switches and concrete steps, etc. A bunch of little things that needed to be done. He installed a new doorknob and lock to the front door and now has the keys to the house! We also turned on the utilities to the house, the water and electricity. Isn't that strange? Matt commented that it really feels like our house with the keys in his pocket and the utilities in our name! We hope, hope, hope everything works out in the next 12 days so that we can officially call it ours!

We plan on visiting the Cameron ward next Sunday so today was probably our last day in the Platte City ward. We said our goodbyes at church today. The kids got sung to in Primary. I returned my nursery manual and keys. We also have reserved the moving truck. It's so strange and exciting!

1 comment:

Grandma M said...

I am so excited for you. It was a funny feeling to hear Matt say the girls couldn't show me their tutus because they were packed away! Two weeks and counting!!