So this morning we sang "Christmas Bells are Ringing..." and "Away in a Manger." Before we sang "Mary's Lullaby," I explained to the kids that these are Mary's words she's singing to her baby Jesus.
Lullaby, lullaby, my little one. Lullaby, my child so dear.
Thy precious life has just begun; Thy mother holds thee near.
Thy precious life has just begun; Thy mother holds thee near.
My voice faltered and I had to pause and gulp back some emotion in my voice before I could continue singing.
While Joseph watches through the night, A star reflects thy light.
Lullaby, lullaby, my little one. Lullaby, my child so dear.
Lullaby, lullaby, my little one. Lullaby, my child so dear.
The beauty and tenderness of the song accompanied with the lovely melody made it too difficult to control my emotions and the tears welled up in my eyes. We finished the song (barely) and Kian asked me, "Why were you like that?" I replied, "It was a beautiful song." "Were you crying?!" he asked. "Why would you cry at that?" He then proceeded to sob dramatically in a mocking tone, "Waaah-waaah. Singing this song makes me cry!"
"Kian," I explained, "It is possible to cry for a reason other than sadness. Sometimes I cry because I'm happy or I'm filled with joy." Well, as you can imagine, this 8-year-old boy thought I was being ridiculous (having never felt this emotion, I assume).
I then described to him a possible scene in his future. "Kian, after you get married to the love of your life, you're going to have a baby. Can you imagine how you'll feel when after laboring in pain for hours, your wife gives birth to a healthy, perfect, tiny, amazing baby that you will hold with wonder and fascination and thankfulness?!!" There were lots of tears rolling down my face by this point in the lecture. I was really into it. I cry so easily.
He looked at me with a look like I was crazy and then went on to joke, "This is what I'll say when that happens: 'O God, I curse thee for dirty diapers!!' Ha ha ha."
Sigh.
"Kian," I explained, "It is possible to cry for a reason other than sadness. Sometimes I cry because I'm happy or I'm filled with joy." Well, as you can imagine, this 8-year-old boy thought I was being ridiculous (having never felt this emotion, I assume).
I then described to him a possible scene in his future. "Kian, after you get married to the love of your life, you're going to have a baby. Can you imagine how you'll feel when after laboring in pain for hours, your wife gives birth to a healthy, perfect, tiny, amazing baby that you will hold with wonder and fascination and thankfulness?!!" There were lots of tears rolling down my face by this point in the lecture. I was really into it. I cry so easily.
He looked at me with a look like I was crazy and then went on to joke, "This is what I'll say when that happens: 'O God, I curse thee for dirty diapers!!' Ha ha ha."
Sigh.
4 comments:
Oh, my goodness!! That was utterly unexpected!!! He is so funny!
I can't sing that song without crying either, and my girls are used to me crying during devotional--but then, they're girls and kind of understand.
I'll bet Abby understands . . . after all, she does know what it is like to have a baby. :)
He is such a boy!!
ROFL! That's so funny. My kids are so used to me crying when we read classic books together that they don't ask anymore. But his response is hillarious.
Warren laughed so hard at this, he went into a coughing fit and I thought he was going to pass out! He said he tells Kian stories to the guys at work and they remember them and repeat them from time to time...
Post a Comment